Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Roasted and Toasted Pumpkin Seeds


The most popular of fall colors, orange, is also the color of one of the most festive fruits of the season; PUMPKIN! Did you know that pumpkins are native to North America, specifically Mexico? I did not, but that is pretty interesting since we are so used to seeing them at this time of the year. If you go to Europe for example, they may not know what you are talking about if you ask, its just not as popular as it is here in America.

Anyways...lets move on. Tonight was pumpkin carving night and I really hate waste, so keeping with the Halloween theme, of course I dug my hand into the bowl of guts and pulled out the seeds, making sure that none of the pumpkin was stuck to them. I then washed them in a colander and scooped them out onto some very dry towels. Make sure that the seeds aren't too wet when the go in the oven or they will steam, meh.

Can You Guess What This Is?
I tossed my seeds in a bowl with about 2 tsp of olive oil, or you can use any kind of oil you like and I liberally sprinkled some seasoned salt over the seeds. Again, you can use whatever you like. If you want something desserty, try sprinkling with cinnamon and sugar, or if you want something savory, try curry powder. The possibilities are endless!

I preheated my oven to 425F. While the oven is getting up to temperature, I spread the seeds very evenly onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, seriously, if you have never used that stuff GET IT NOW, it is pretty amazing. Place the cookie sheet in the oven and roast for 20 minutes, then stir, and roast another 10 minutes or so until they start getting a nice golden color, once this happens remove and enjoy!

If you are not carving pumpkins and just want the seeds, then visit my pumpkin post for some ideas and how to cook and store your little fall gem.

No comments:

Post a Comment