Sunday, November 6, 2011

Slightly Spicy Red Pepper Walnut Dip aka Muhammara


As you know I love Middle Eastern food, and this next recipe hails from Syria originally but has variations across the lands. I first got this dip many months ago at an Armenian market here in the Boston area. It just looked too good to pass up plus I was told by friends that I need to try it. The one from the market was spicy and full of chunky walnuts and was delicious. You can certainly eat it as a dip or I would even use it as a sandwich spread for something like turkey, falafel, dolma or even roast beef.

So, I actually found this recipe from another blogger who has a whole section on Romanian foods (which I love) and a bunch of other recipes as well which I think I will be trying out this week. This dip is super easy to make using the recipe that I found, with very very few differences. Also, if you are able to grind your own spices I HIGHLY recommend it, I just did it for the first time and the aroma and tastes are so much nicer than grocery store spices, but if you can't don't worry about it and do NOT use a coffee grinder for which you grind your own coffee. Get the spices its own grinder if you decide to try it.

So hold on tight!

2 roasted red peppers (I use jarred)
2/3 cup toasted walnuts
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika (or regular)
1/2 tsp chili powder (original called for chipotle, did not have it)
2 cloves of garlic
2 tsp pomegranate molasses (or balsamic vinegar)
1/2 tsp honey
1-2 slices toasted bread, crumbled (or toasted bread crumbs, 1/2 cup)
Olive oil

The nice thing about this recipe is you get to put everything into a food processor and process away! Drizzle in about a tablespoon or so of olive oil at this point too. Now, I like my dip slightly chunkier so I blended everything EXCEPT for the walnuts first, and then I added the nuts, and pulsed a few times and it came out perfect.

Lastly, my photos haven't been the greatest lately, so please try not to judge the recipe by the photo. Make this dip for your next party and I am pretty sure people will love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment