Sunday, March 18, 2012

Irish Cabbage Can Be Delicious!



I was looking for a decent cabbage recipe, I mean, cabbage is cabbage. Its not the most glamorous vegetable, but it can be quite delicious. Let me just say that I love cole slaw, like..a lot. Love it. I judge restaurants based on their cole slaw, but I just wasn't feeling it tonight as I had it twice the past week.

This recipe I found has a bit of everything, saltiness from the bacon, sweetness from the cabbage and richness from the butter. Also, you will see some dark green in the photo, that is kale which I had found in my freezer, but you certainly don't have to add it if you don't want to or have it. I just happened to have some so I threw it in and it was pretty good!


Irish Cabbage
1 medium cabbage, quartered and core removed
2 slices of lean bacon
2 tbsp melted butter (or smart balance light)
1 tsp of nutmeg
drizzle of vinegar

1. Boil the cabbage in water for about 10-15 minutes.
2. Fry the bacon, remove from fat and cut into bits.
3. Place the cooked cabbage in a oven safe dish, drizzle with melted butter, top with bacon and nutmeg.
4. Broil for 5-7 minutes.
5. Just before serving add a splash of vinegar to your liking.

1 comment: