Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Awesome South Asian Okra




I love Okra and do not know how to cook it other than breading and frying it. I would love to do that but it is too fattening to have ALL the time and its just a lot of work. Well, one of my friends, NoopDawg made an okra dish for Diwali last year which was amazing. Since then I had been craving it but couldn't get the secret out of her (thanks NoopDawg!). So one day another friend of mine had posted on facebook that her husband had made an okra dish that she said was pretty amazing. He is from Pakistan and I am VERY jealous that we are not neighbors because he is constantly cooking the foods that I wish I knew how to cook!

Anyways, I asked if she could tell him to write down a recipe as he is cooking it. She did it. And now, I have it! I've made only very slight adjustments such as lowering the amount of oil and adding a small bit of cumin seeds.
Ferry-Morse 1315 Okra Seeds, Clemson Spineless 80 (5 Gram Packet)
Here it goes!

1 lb okra, sliced lengthwise into quarters
2 Tablespoons oil (canola, sunflower, vegetable etc)
1 onion thinly sliced
1 tablespoon curry powder
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp whole cloves (yes whole)
1/2 tsp whole peppercorns
1/2 tsp whole cumin seeds
2 tsp salt or to taste

Heat the oil in a skillet and add onion, Brown the onion, may take up to 10 minutes, add the cumin seed too. Next add the curry powder and water, stir in the cloves and peppercorns and salt. Cover and allow to cook about 5 minutes. Add the okra and stir it around in the spices and onions. Cover and cook about 5 minutes. Next add a sliced tomato, the tomato will break down eventually and dissolve into the okra, this is how you know its done (5-7 minutes).

If you don't like okra, I am sure you can substitute with green beans or even cauliflower and still get an amazing vegetarian dish.


1 comment:

  1. Tried it with green beans tonight (fresh from the garden) and it was delicious, but I prefer okra over beans so far. I do bet that roasted cauliflower would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete