Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Lick the Plate Clean Chicken Marsala (Seriously, You Will)

If you are looking for an easy recipe that will have your guests literally licking the plates (DAWN!! go to her page if you like shoes) then this is an absolute MUST try.

I really like chicken marsala, but I wanted something a bit creamier that will really stick to the chicken and the pasta. So I decided to add a dollop of mascarpone cheese to the sauce and believe me, you will too once you try it. eek!

This recipe will be for 2, but even if you double it, 2 people will still be licking the plates and pans clean. You can always make extra sauce by adding extra broth, wine etc.

2 boneless chicken breasts, pounded as thin as possible (or you could cut them and pound out)
1/2 cup marsala wine (or madeira or even sherry)
1 tbsp dijon mustard
2 tbsp mascarpone cheese (or cream cheese but try to use mascarpone)
1 cup chicken stock
Flour for dredging
Salt n pepa
Olive Oil

With your pounded out chicken, sprinkle each piece with salt and pepper and toss it in flour. You don't want it to be heavily coated, just enough to form a crust. In a preheated pan over medium to high heat, heat some olive oil. I use no measurements, maybe a table spoon or you can even use cooking spray, and add your chicken and let them cook thoroughly on each side. Try not to flip them for at LEAST a few minutes, if they are sticking to the pan then they are not yet ready to be flipped. Once cooked, remove the chicken from the pan and set aside on a plate (juices will collect, this is good!)

Next, you'll want to scrape up the brown bits off the bottom of the pan so while its very hot, add the chicken stock and scrape away! Now lower the heat and add the wine, mustard and mascarpone, whisk til all thoroughly melted and incorporated. Add the chicken and juices and allow to simmer for a bit, the sauce should thicken a bit (not gravy thick, but shouldn't be watery either, if it is add a little cornstarch to some water and then add to the sauce).

Serve over pasta or mashed potato! In the pic I have also paired it with sauteed green beans and mushrooms. If you want more of the sauce, which I always do, just add extra broth, you can't really mess this dish up so don't be afraid to try. Want it creamier? Add more mascarpone! Get it?

8 comments:

  1. He does not lie. I licked the plate. It was that good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did last night and John caught me doing it, ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to attempt this tonight - if the kids eat it then it will be a success! Sounds awesome though!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope it works well for you! Obvi you should taste it along the way and adjust the seasonings, I always end up adding more wine, but thats because I can sometimes be a boozebag when cooking. I hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dan, that photo makes me want to cook this right now! I love Chicken Marsala as well, but not too long ago I tried a new Giada recipe and it called for waaaaay too much and I have been uninspired to cook with that flavor ever since. Maybe its time to try again... or have you make it for Laura and I! :-)
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous (haha i know who you are!), start off with maybe half the wine and maybe use more stock. As it is cooking, taste it and add a little more wine if you'd like. Or even another dollop of mascarpone! Just don't go too crazy with the mustard though, we don't want to make it a mustard sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What brand of marsala do you use? I'm definitely going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This recipe converted a vegetarian...just an FYI. Beth, so sorry, thought this was already answered, but any Marsala is fine. I use the cheapo Taylor brand.

    ReplyDelete