Monday, May 30, 2011

Awesome Chicken Salad!

I love salads, not green salads (though I love those too), but the fattening ones made with tuna, chicken, ham etc. It has taken me years to perfect my version of chicken salad, but finally I did it and am now willing to share it with the world. I first found out how awesome this recipe really is when I started making it for events, and then started making it for myself often. I love it that much.

I made this chicken salad last night and added a sprinkling of curry powder, just the kind that you buy in the grocery store and I love the variation! I think for a full recipe, start out with a little if you want to try, like maybe a teaspoon, wait 30 minutes and taste, you may want to add more or keep it as is. The recipe I am sharing will just be the original.

Also, sometimes I am a little lazy, I don't care, but I buy a whole pre-cooked chicken, I actually like the one I get from Market Basket, often times you can find some cold ones reduced in price aww yeah!

With the wet ingredients (mayo and yogurt) start out with what I give you, and if you like it wetter add more, but keep in mind that this salad will be fairly thick, also, I don't measure when I cook so it might be better to start lower and add more later. Remember that you can add more but you can't subtract from it once its mixed in.
Simply Organic Organic Curry Powder ( 1x3 OZ)
1 whole 3 lb chicken, cooked, deboned, shredded
3/4 cup low fat mayonnaise
1/2 cup greek yogurt
1 stalk finely chopped celery
2 tsp onion powder OR a couple grates of fresh onion
1 tsp celery salt
handful of dried cranberries

With your hands, shred the chicken, make sure there are no bones or cartilage (gag), just meat! This part is most important because I don't really like chunky salads for some reason. Next, add in the mayo and yogurt, with a fork mix and mash, the chicken should break down more, almost like a spread. You can add the onion and celery salt in now too, taste to make sure there is enough of both, but really you should let the flavors sit for AT LEAST 30 minutes to allow everything to meld together.

If and ONLY if everything is to your tasting, add in the cranberries and celery and mix in. Its always best to allow the chicken salad to sit a little longer before serving (See how many times I say this?).

Lastly, this is also great as a spread for crackers at parties. YUMMMM.

3 comments:

  1. Your mom should sit for at least 30 minutes to allow everything to meld together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I <3 Chicken Salad this one is on my list to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carla, I hope you enjoy! I love chicken and tuna salad...a ...lot. And I hate when you get one and its just not good, but this one ALWAYS gets thumbs up when I make it for parties, so seriously doooo ittttt and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete