Friday, May 13, 2011

Heaven on a Yellow Plate

Well, I guess I didn't mean the dessert, turkish delight (YUMMM!!!) but I discovered another Armenian market in Watertown which is pretty awesome. I hate though, that there are so many Armenian markets within a mile radius, why can't I have some by me?

Anyway, there are staples that I always buy when I go to one of these treasure chests: olives, lamejun (Armenian pizza), boregs and other 'pies', muhammara and stuffed grape leaves. Also, if you are in the market for herbs and spices, you can usually get good size bags for cheap.

I was lucky enough to get to go to this new place after work one day this week, since we had to go in that general direction I figured I would stock up on these delicious treats.

In the photo, in the middle are the olives. I LOVEEEEE red olives and I can never find them. A nice size container was like $2.50. To the left and diagonal are the lamb stuffed grape leaves, to the right is hummus, then meat pie, above that is lamejun, to the left s baba ganoush (eggplant dip), and the red stuff next to it...muhammara (spicy red pepper and walnut dip).

Obviously, I didn't make any of these myself, but soon you will have your own recipe for hummus which is super easy, and you can flavor it to your liking. Also, the grape leaves on the vines have not yet matured or even opened, but come June, you can certainly find me picking grape leaves at my mothers house to be stuffed later with yummy meat and rice.

And this my friends is what I call, heaven on a yellow plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment