Saturday, August 6, 2011

The Book Closest To Me

So, I just saw that a friend had posted this on facebook:


"It's National Book Week. The rules: Grab the closest book to you. Go to page 56. Copy the 5th sentence as your status. Don't mention the book. Post these rules as part of your status."


My answer: "Brown all the chicken pieces this way."


If you know me, even a smidgen, you know that I don't own any books that normal people read. The only books I have in my collection are cook books. Indian, Thai, Scandinavian, Russian, Italian, Puerto Rican, Arabic....pretty much 90% of the world's cuisine lies in my living room in the form of a cookbook.


A lot of people can't quite understand that I do read cookbooks, not just the recipes or the pretty pictures but many of my books have short stories, or like one of my favorite middle eastern book, its basically one long story of recipes, which I find to be the most interesting. Yes, I do love reading how every Sunday in Syria, so and so's grandfather would go to the market to pick out the most perfect chicken to be eaten that day and then read about how the women would prepare it from what they wore to how it was served. This kind of detail is what makes a truly great reading book (in my opinion) and the fact that it comes with a family recipe, even better!


So in the end, it is no coincidence that the closest book to me was a cookbook.


Any guesses as to which book my quote comes from (not the book below)??


The Arab Table: Recipes and Culinary Traditions

1 comment: