Thursday, August 4, 2011

Hand-Me-Down Heirloom Tomatoes!

I like tomatoes, a lot. I grow tomatoes too, but not just any tomatoes. My favorite are the oddly shaped, oddly colored heirlooms which usually sell for about $5/lb, for no good reason when they are so easy to grow!

 Anyways, this past spring Dawn and I had one of our old lady days. The day, in our older age, consists of having tea, scones and lunch at a lovely old lady tea farmhouse in Northborough, MA called Special Teas. After that, I really wanted to go to one of the local farms out in Marlborough (or vicinity) to get some plants for my new garden. When I saw the rows and rows of tomatoes they had I almost peed myself. Then when I saw how many varieties of heirloom tomatoes they had I actually did pee myself! I told the staff that was helping me that I don't want to waste my time or theirs on the reds, just take me to the heirlooms, and on we went!

"Green zebra? Its green when ripe, and very neat to look at!'" - YES!
"Pink so and so? (cant remember). These are the best tasting" - YES! (could be pink brandywine)
"Yellow cherry tomatoes? VERY flavorful" - YES!
"Old German.." - YES! (I cut them off mid sentence as this one is the prettiest)
"Purple cherokee" - YES!

So basically, I got everything I hoped for and more and I am sure being blessed with globes of color popping up in my garden each day. The cherry tomatoes are the most abundant, and I've already gotten a few pink ones and I think 2 purple (which are actually a brownish red the sliced one in the pic!), and 2 green ones, which when ripe, remain green but their stripes are yellowish!

We recently just had a big rainfall, which means tomatoes and more tomatoes! I came home from work today and picked even more cherries and about 3 more larger ones. I remembered one thing, I had mozzarella in the fridge! What a perfect pair, tomatoes, mozzarella, olive oil and fresh basil (also from the garden).

2 comments:

  1. This looks amazing. I love fresh mozzarella with tomato and basil. Sometimes, I cook herb ravioli, chill it, and toss it with chunks of fresh mozzarella, tomato, basil, and a little EVOO and balsamic vinegar. YUM! Great site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kate! Heirlooms are awesome, if you've never had them and can find them TRY them! I will never buy just any tomato plant again, only heirlooms. So far the brandywines are the best tasting, the most interesting are the green zebra and the prettiest are the old germans.

    Also, that ravioli "salad" sounds amazing! I've never thought to do that and then chill it. I feel like doing something like this would be awesome for a pot luck.

    ReplyDelete