Friday, December 23, 2011

Pay NO Attention to the Photo Ground Beef Curry

Yes, I know this pic doesn't look appealing, but TRUST me!

Its close to Christmas and in my house that only means one thing. The kitchen is a disaster area from cooking non stop for days for the Christmas Eve party at my dad's house. Its a disaster now, and it probably will be until at least the day after Christmas, grrr.

But, as I was preparing the fillings for my 20 pound lasagna I realized I had about a pound of extra ground beef, but what to do with it? I really like Indian food as you know and I had some tomato paste already opened and ready. I happened upon this recipe which I tweaked slightly and am now a fan of it. Also, the photo makes this look less than appealing, like something you might find on the carpet if you own pets, but it does taste like heaven.

You can certainly use any meat or vegetable you want, and even add nuts or a few raisins yum!

Ground Beef Curry

1 lb ground beef
1 onion chopped
2 potatoes chopped
1 tbsp garlic chopped
1 tbsp fresh ginger grated
3 tbsp curry powder
3 tbsp tomato paste
1 small can diced tomatoes with juice
1 pinch chili powder or cayenne
1/2 cup water or chicken broth
1/3 cup fat free half and half
2 tbsp oil
salt
pepper

In a large skillet, heat the oil and add the potatoes first. Cook for about 5 minutes and then add the onions. Cook another 5-8 minutes, don't let the onion burn. Add the beef and cook til brown.

Add garlic and ginger and stir, making sure these do not burn. Add the tomato paste and stir. Next add curry powder and chili powder. Add the diced tomatoes and juice and the water/broth and allow the potatoes to cook through, you can always add more water or broth if the curry gets too thick. Simmer on low for about 15 minutes or until everything is well cooked and the curry aromas have permeated throughout the sauce.

At the last minute, shut the heat and add the half and half. You don't want to cook this on high as it could curdle.

Please note: again, the pic makes this look like something you would wake up to one morning if you have a sick pet around, but really, the flavors were great! You could use any meat you want, or vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment